Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day One - Wow!

So here we are...day one!

I woke up this morning and drove to Newport with absolutely no idea what to expect! We arrived and I finally realized how HUGE the Wecoma is (185 feet) compared to my old favorite, the Elahka (52 feet).



We spent most of the day in organized chaos unpacking gear and wandering around trying to stay out of the way, so there isn't too much to report on the event front. I finally got all set up in my bunk, which is quite cozy but functional- there are two bunk beds, 2 wardrobes, and a shared bathroom. I have three roommates, one of which is from OSU (Anne), one from Baja, Mexico (Anna), and a Swiss student (Claudine).  Three of us are graduate students and Anne is an undergrad in environmental engineering. 

Tight Quarters!

I got the full tour of the ship today, and was impressed to find that the ship has a wet lab, dry lab, full galley, dining area (which resembles a cute cafe!), walk-in freezers, a library area with lots of DVDs and books, as well as a television, 2 washer/dryers, and perhaps most importantly, a 24-hour salad bar and fully-stocked ice cream cooler.  Coffee is also available 24/7, which is great for those 12-hour shifts.

Lounge Room w/ TV, DVDs and Book Library


The crew is all very nice and welcoming of questions and chatting, which is wonderful.  I couldn't believe how accommodating and patient (!) they all seem to be with those of us who aren't familiar with ship ops.

Dining Area


This is shaping up to be an awesome journey, and I can't wait until we launch tomorrow morning! I will keep this updated as much as possible, and upload photos as we go if we have good enough internet access.  Ciao!

Galley (Salad bar is in bottom left of picture)



No comments:

Post a Comment